Thursday, October 3, 2013

A standard meal plan!

In meeting with a nutritionist and trying to meet things that I like here is one of my standard meal plans for a day.

5:45 am when I get up I eat 2 eggs or 2 ounces of chicken or steak (from previous meals) and a whole wheat and flax pita by Joesephs.

9:30 I eat a Greek 0 fat yogurt with some blueberries.  I dont get the kind that has the mushy fruit mixed in, I get fresh blue berries and add them.

11:30 I eat lunch. Usually I eat a turkey wrap.
100% whole wheat tortilla by Joesephs
4 slices of turkey breast
2 slices of cheese
lettuce
tomato
avacado
mustard
green pepper and any other vegies I can get in there.

The important part is the avacado. You are trying to convert your body from burning sugar and carbs to burning fat for it's energy. Avacado is loaded with healthy fat that your body needs to learn to burn so it can burn your fat reserves when you are hungry rather than making you eat more carbs.

2:30 or so, usually right when I get home from work, I will eat something from the fridge left over. Cannelini or black beans, broccoli, and a protein like grilled chicken or steak. A single slice of 100% whole wheat bread is ok too or one of your pitas if you have the carb crave though avoid them if you can.

6:00 I will prepare a nice meal for me and my wife.  I always make a protein and multiple kinds of veggies. Last night I made NY strip on the grill with brussel sprouts and beans with spincach, carrots and a garlic sauce.  The night before i cooked Salmon in a foil pouch. I put Asparagus, green and red peppers, minced garlic and onions and celery in there too, sealed it up and threw it on the grill for 20 minutes. Sprinkle some poultry seasoning, thyme, rosemary, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, and or italian seasoning. It was fantastic.

 I try not to but if she wants I will make her some pasta or rice a roni and try not to eat it.

9:00 Snack of some sort. Yogurt, sugar free fudge pop, sugar free pudding, Atkins peanut butter and chocolate meal replacement bar, left over stuff.

Try not to go 3-4 hours between meals!  And try to avoid eating after your last snack.  If you have eaten enough good fats during the day, you should be able to resist the carb crave later at night.

Hope that helps!

Jawaballs

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard the bit about the avocado; that's really interesting. Fish is pretty good; my wife and I try to have salmon or rainbow trout 1 or two times a week. One of our favorite ways to cook the fish is foil packing it with onions, sliced lemons, and a little S&P. Sometimes we sprinkle some dill on it too.

    Did your nutritionist talk about "servings" or "portions"? Mine defined my carb servings as 15g. I get 4 servings at each mean and 2 portions for my mid-afternoon snack. She told me to not go more than 4 or 5 hours between meals too, just like your did. I too enjoy the yogurt parfait. I usually use blueberries, raspberries, and sliced strawberries in it and then I mix just a hint of vanilla and carbless sweetener in the yougurt. Sprinkle a pinch of raw rolled oats on top. It's pretty tasty and has between 1 and 2 carb servings in it, good anti-oxidents (from the berries), and protein from the yogurt.

    A point my nutritionist made to me is that density matters. A pita is often just as bad as a regular slice of bread b/c the pita is much more dense. Likewise, a cake doughnut is usually worse than a glazed yeast doughnut for the same reason. Always read the nutrition label.

    Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and there are some really good kinds of spinach salads you can do. The problem is often getting enough protein on them. I frequently put a little turkey, a little cheese, and then use blue cheese dressing for that.

    ReplyDelete