Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Here we go! Time to get skinny.

Hey folks,

Yup, I'm one of those guys. I am a fat gamer.  I got on the scales the other day and I was pushing 295 pounds. My 42 inch waist paints barely fit and not a single dress shirt in my closet is wearable.  But worse than that, I just ticked off year 37.  I'm pushing 40!  I eat like I am 21 and exercise like I am 60.  Time to make changes. I have a friend at work whose brother died of a heart attack at 44.  When I play with my 1 year old baby, I get winded, just chasing a crawling baby around the room.  Time to make changes.

The experts agree that keeping a journal and such helps. So I started up a blog to help track my weight loss.  I plan on keeping a daily journal here of my progress and ticking off the pounds.

Here we go! My plan? Simply eat less than I burn daily.  I tried gimmick diets like South Beach and such, but I hit the plateau and fell off the wagon.  Gaining back the weight and more.  The only way to really lose weight is to eat smart and exercise.  Neither of which I do.

First step:
Control what I eat.  Based on my size, my metabolism should use about 2500 calories a day to sustain itself.  That means that eating only 2000 calories a day will help automatically help to cut the pounds. But that is not really even necessary.  For every 3400 or so calories I burn over what I take in, I will burn a pound of fat.  If I can eat about 2200 calories a day, and burn another 500 through exercise, that will be about an 800 point turnaround.  Every five days should see me losing just over a pound.  See the numbers? Doesn't sound too hard.

Then I have to get my ass in the gym.  I should be able to burn 500 calories in 45 minutes of vigorous walking.  If I can get in a 45 minute walk, either on the street or at the gym every day, I will be well on my way.  As I lose more weight, I can increase the impact of the workout, and who knows, maybe even run again!

My goal is to get down to 220 pounds.  The experts say that I should weight 175, but that is never gonna happen. I will be happy with 220. For now though, that means I have to drop about 75 pounds.  Gulp!

Well ok then, wish me luck!

Jawaballs

No comments:

Post a Comment